Thursday, April 3, 2014

My Two Cents - Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue



During a shopping trip to Target a few months ago, my curlyfriend Cindy and I spotted a pretty fabulous Miss Jessie's sale. We were shocked to see that Miss Jessie products were 40% off.  Now that's a deal!

It had been years since I jumped off the Miss Jessie's bandwagon.  When I first started wearing my hair natural I used the Curly Pudding pretty regularly.  I really liked it, as it provided a really nice hold for my hair.  I stopped using for a few reasons; I wanted to find a cheaper alternative, I felt that my hair was dry, it gave me that hard hair effect, and I wanted to use more all-natural ingredients. 

That was probably about 4 years ago.  Since then Miss Jessie's has changed the formula for both the Curly Pudding, and Curly Meringue to exclude silicones and parabens, so with the urging of my curlfriend Cindy I decided to give the Curly Meringue a try and purchased the 8oz jar.  I was very unsure of what the results would be.  My hair care practices are very different then what they were 4 years ago (i.e. I've learned how to retain moisture), but I still feared that Miss Jessie's would result in dry hair.

Here are my two cents...

Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue
I apply this styler as I would any other.  It's my very last product in my wash day routine (leave-in conditioner, then Shea butter, then Curly Meringue).  I've used it both as a wash n go styler, and large twists.

Rating: 4 out of 5 Coils
Pros:
  • Silicone-free
  • Paraben-free
  • Can be purchased just about any place that sells hair products
  • Smells wonderful
  • Great hold, yet hair soft to the touch (very important to me)!!!!!
  • Hair maintained moisture (huge plus)!!!!!
  • Can get 6/7 day hair

Cons:  
  • Pricey when it's not on sale
  • I have to be pretty heavy-handed when applying
  • Cream is visible in hair until hair fully dries
  • Takes forever to air dry (which is actually the norm for me, not really the fault of the product.. I just have so much hair)

I was extremely happy with the results.  So much so that I then bought 3 (yes I said 3) of the 16oz jars while they were still 40% off!!!  Might as well make use of sale price while I can :-)

How about you?  Any experiences with Miss Jessie's products? 

2 comments:

  1. This was such a good post! Very informative! I will have to try the Curly Meringue:) I'm a fan of the Curly Pudding (also purchased at Target -ha). Keep up the wonderfully detailed posts:)
    kristysamone.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww.. thanks chica! Happy that I can help keep the curl nation informed :-)

      Delete